Update from Labour Relations Commission and the Equality Tribunal
Recent figures published by the Labour Relations Commission and the Equality Tribunal indicate how vital it is to put in place practices and procedures to ensure you remain compliant with all aspects of employment law.
The Labour Relations Commission reported a significant increase in referrals. In the first 6 months of this year, 8,500 referrals were made to the Rights Commissioner Service alone.
The Equality Tribunal (ET) launched its Annual Report for 2009 in April of this year. They too reported a significant increase in claims. The annual report outlined many interesting statistics as follows:
- The ET closed 840 cases, up 12% on the previous year;
- Over 900 claims were referred to the ET in 2009;
- Claims of discrimination in employment on the age ground have more than trebled;
- Race remains the largest ground on which discrimination is alleged;
- Other frequent grounds include disability and gender;
- 33% of cases were upheld;
- The average compensation awarded by the ET was €12,350;
- The highest compensation was €189,000.
These figures would indicate how critical it is to put in place practices and procedures to ensure compliance with the law. We can provide advice and assistance to our clients on a variety of employment law issues. If you would like further information, please contact us on 021 4310266 or email@example.com.