In this Issue
Budget 2012
New Companies Bill
New Employment and Investment Incentive Scheme (EIIS)
Starting employment in Ireland
Deadlines and reminders
PM Services
Send to a Friend
Useful Links
Visit our website»
Contact us»
View newsletter archive»
Give feedback»

Legal Disclaimer>

Starting employment in Ireland
by Seamus Parfrey

You will need to apply for a Personal Public Service (PPS) Number with the Department of Social Protection when you are taking up employment in Ireland for the first time. It is advisable that you call in person to any Social Welfare Local Office or Social Welfare Branch Office in order to complete a Form REG 1 (Application for PPS No.). Documentary evidence including a copy of your current valid passport / driving license and your birth certificate to prove your identity together with other information depending on your nationality will be required.

You will be notified of your PPS Number by the issue of a letter of notification, sent automatically to the address given on the application form.

Your PPS Number is an important identifier. You should take care that the number is used only by you. You should notify your employer of your PPS Number once you have received it. Misuse of your PPS Number may result in an additional tax liability or a loss of entitlement to Social Welfare benefits.

 To register for tax purposes you should complete Form 12A. You may need to ask your employer for information to complete the form, such as the employer's registered number and name. Send the completed Form 12A to the Revenue Commissioners and they will send you a Tax Credit Certificate and a copy to your employer, so that correct deductions of tax can be made from your salary.

Contact Details
Email Newsletter Software by Newsweaver